Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Report From the President of Horrendous Treatment of Most Links (HTML) Annonymous

Who needs Belladonna when you've got "Grand Rounds"?

Trust me, I had functional GI spasm.

And functional cerebral spasms, functional throat spasms, functional tear duct spasms, functional screaming spasms, non-functional (thank god) waves of nausea and acute diaphoresis that would have made a cardiologist blanch.

I think I have some hair left.

I even invented some new four-letter-words!

Nothing like hosting Grand Rounds to bring out your inner creativity.

But I figured it this way: would a nurse walk out on a patient just because they were going bad? Of course not.

So I pulled a double shift!

I'd like to offer some advice for future hosts of Grand Rounds that I learned the hardest way possible.

  • DO NOT TRUST BLOGGER or whoever you use to produce your web page/blog.
    • Write the entire post using a web word processor and then post it to the blog.
  • The following does not constitute backing up
    • Saving your html to a folder on your "desktop". I thought I had backed up. All it did was "translate" the html into a wierd version of the Blogger posting page.
    • Saving a copy of the actual submission in a folder on the desktop. Nice, but didn't do me a bit of good because once you save it, the web address is altered.
    • Saving as a draft as you go along means nothing if Firefox crashes. Which it did, exactly five seconds after I had finished rebuilding the post the first time.
  • Save all emails with the submissions in them. Thank god I did this. I would have been helpless without them.
  • When I posted all links were functional. Once posted, I went to fix a bad link, and the repost showed that the bottom third of the links had ceased to be links. I then took the entire post offline thinking it would be easier to work on before more people saw the broken version. I think that was where the first mistake was made. But I'm not sure why. Once it is up, leave it up and work on it while it is posted.
  • Do not bullet your links. I had a submission with multiple links and I put them in a bullet format. It wasn't until I put them in as links in the narrative that I was able to make links of the submissions below.
  • Even though Grand Rounds is officially on Tuesday, have it ready and post it on Monday night so if it turns into a disaster you have time to fix it. Thank god I posted it at 1701, one minute after the deadline (I was excited to see it!). Had I discovered it any later than that, there would have been no time to have something on Tuesday morning.
I am as compulsive about my blog as I am with my charting, and the original Grand Rounds had every link in red, italicized and underlined. The colors you see on it now, I had nothing to do with any of them. All I wanted by that time was just a functional link.

How do you explain to your husband that there are approximately 60 professionals/patients from around the world who are depending on you to get their stories out and you can't let them down? He wonders why I have such a stressful hobby. Doesn't have a clue. Only a blogger would understand.

I was so excited to be hosting and I wanted everything to be perfect. I had planned the theme weeks in advance, so this has felt like a major failure. Ironically, I get my first Instalanche and it is bittersweet.

Thanks to everyone who sent their support. I owe a few of you some linkage, will put it in the next post. Won't be Grand Rounds, but I'll send folks your way.

Now, no more downer stuff!

I want to thank Rita over at the MSSPNexus Blog who made me laugh at loud with this photo she enclosed in an email.

I get all my stuff off the internet, people are always asking me where I find it, but this one definitely came from her.

Thanks, Rita, I definitely needed that!

Oh, and by the way, are you wondering if I would host Grand Rounds again?

If given the chance?

In a heartbeat.



8 Comments:

At 3/08/2006 04:17:00 AM, Blogger marcus said...

It is a great Grand Rounds. I will be reading it all week. This is a good community of medical bloggers.

Technology can sometimes be so exasperating.

 
At 3/08/2006 05:18:00 AM, Blogger Rita - Supporting Safer Healthcare said...

Good advice for future Grand Rounds hosts!

I had trouble with TypePad when I hosted, but fortunately had saved a copy in the HTML editor I use for my regular msspnexus.com site.

I agree with Marcus - sometimes technology can quite exasperating!

Tech Gurus

Rita

 
At 3/08/2006 06:43:00 AM, Blogger Fat Doctor said...

Only a true blogger would understand. How I agree! Husband has learned that when I get up at 3:00 in the morning and leave bed for an hour, it's because if I don't blog it I can't stop thinking it and I'll never get back to sleep.

 
At 3/08/2006 07:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given all your troubles, you did a great job.

When I posted all links were functional. Once posted, I went to fix a bad link, and the repost showed that the bottom third of the links had ceased to be links. I then took the entire post offline thinking it would be easier to work on before more people saw the broken version. I think that was where the first mistake was made. But I'm not sure why. Once it is up, leave it up and work on it while it is posted.


Let me guess, the bad link was me :)

 
At 3/08/2006 12:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Losing a big long post is the worst. Another idea like Writely: google pages, which auto-saves, you can type into easily and will autoformat your HTML, and will show you the HTML it generated. It's free and comes with your Google account.

 
At 3/09/2006 07:00:00 PM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Thanks for all the computer tips. I'm fairly new to computers and I don't understand what works and what doesn't or why it works one time but doing the same thing doesn't work the next time... Your tips make a lot of sense.

 
At 3/09/2006 09:02:00 PM, Blogger Keagirl said...

I thought you did a fabulous job! It was well laid out and organized, easy to read, with nice pictures. Personally, I am not sure I would be up to the task, especially since I am essentially a "computer moron"... HTML? waz dat?

 
At 3/10/2006 06:48:00 PM, Blogger PaedsRN said...

"Trust me, I had functional GI spasm."

Awww. You did good though! It wouldn't be an Emergiblog hosting if the Rounds themselves weren't something of an emergency ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.