Thursday, February 23, 2006

Props To Providence Portland Medical Center

This should be interesting.

I am typing on an old Windows desktop computer and I am a die-hard Mac person.

No offense, but yuck!

The picture to the right is of Providence Portland Medical Center in Portland, Oregon. One of the top 100 hospitals in the United States.

Now I know why.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am proud to announce that my daughter has given birth to two NON-CANCEROUS ovarian dermoid cysts. I told her that she had a lot of folks she didn't know praying for her; she gave me permission to give this update and to give her thanks to all of you who gave us "virtual" support.

Pathology reports are pending, but everything looked okay per her surgeon, and the tumor marker was within normal limits.

It's hard to know where "nurse" ends and "mom" starts. For instance, her doctor gave a fantastic "inservice" on ovarian dermoid cysts after the surgery was over, which I found fascinating. No cancer involved. We shook hands and I walked into the elevator.

And burst into tears of relief.

I knew I was worried, guess I was more scared than I wanted to admit.

I have named the cysts Barry and Bridget.

I have asked my daughter to make sure that any future grandchildren be made of more than hair, calcium deposits and nerve endings.

She has said she will try to comply.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Due to some nausea issues and an unexpected allergic reaction, we stayed the night. I was able to stay in her room with her.

This was the Taj Majal of hospitals.
  • A huge, sprawling facility that color-codes their elevators to make getting around easier.
  • A "food court" open until 0330. With Diet Pepsi!
  • An "IV" team that inspects all IVs in house every 24 hours for inflammation or infiltration and restarts prn
  • A day ratio on the med/surg floor of one RN to a max of 5 patients.
  • The names of your nurse and your CNA on a large board (not unusual, I know) that also included the name of your pain medication and the last time it was given.
  • The nursing care was impeccable.
    • Pain was addressed repeatedly and handled immediately in both Short Stay and on the med/surg floor.
    • Call bells answered within seconds.
Needless to say, I was impressed with the overall service, but the nurses were the best. They looked professional, they were compassionate, I can't believe the speed with which everything was handled. This is how nursing should be.

If I ever move to the Portland area, this is where I'd be working.

So here is my official online "thank you" to the nurses and staff of the Short Stay surgery unit and the 3G med/surg floor of Providence Portland Medical Center. You guys rock!

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Speaking of rock, we made it to the room just in time to catch the last 45 minutes of "American Idol" and while my daughter slept the sleep of the narcotized, I voted my fingers raw for both Ace and the grey-haired guy. Thank god for cell phones.

And a pox on the house of the stupid network executive who decided to run the women's figure skating competition against "American Idol". Idiot.

Oh, and I also kept a strict tally of my daughter's I&Os.

Hey, I'm a nurse. I've got to do something.

18 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 07:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew, what a relief! Glad everything turned out okay!

 
At 2/23/2006 08:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim ... I'm so relieved for both your sakes. That can be pretty frightening, all the way around.

I hope they're going to keep an eye on her from now on, eh?

When are you heading back for the Frisco area?

Keep us up on the saga! We're all ears ... or eyeballs ... ;-)

 
At 2/23/2006 08:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay--I'm glad she is okay! Thanks for the update . . .

 
At 2/23/2006 09:04:00 PM, Blogger KHP said...

Hurrah! So glad to hear the good news - and I love that you named the cysts. :)

 
At 2/23/2006 10:03:00 PM, Blogger PaedsRN said...

"I have named the cysts Barry and Bridget."

Not Siskel and Ebert? I give Providence Portland Medical Centre two thumbs up!

 
At 2/23/2006 10:28:00 PM, Blogger shadowfax said...

My mother in law is a cancer counselor at this facility and I also work in the Prov system (another region), so I am pleased to hear that your experience was so good -- and that you won't be needing my mother in law's services! Congratulations, of a sort.

 
At 2/23/2006 11:27:00 PM, Blogger Jo said...

Yay!
So glad everything turned out OK!

1. I Love the idea of an IV team, what great way to focus. I may have to put that in my hospital suggestion box.

2. If I'm ever in Portland and get sick, I hope I go there.

3. Ace and Taylor are my favs too....and Chris.....and Will but only because he's a Texan. This Lame-O voted for all 4.

 
At 2/24/2006 04:06:00 AM, Blogger mary said...

What good news! Barry and Bridget-the siblings who are cysters but not sisters. Cute!

;-)

mary

 
At 2/24/2006 06:35:00 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Glad that your daughter landed on her feet!

 
At 2/24/2006 06:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your good news! It is very hard to be on the other side of the bed, but it sounds like you and your daughter handled it well.

 
At 2/24/2006 07:50:00 AM, Blogger punchberry said...

I am glad everything is okay!

 
At 2/24/2006 08:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad everything is ok.

And those ratios! I'm impressed.

 
At 2/24/2006 10:37:00 AM, Blogger julie said...

Great news, best wishes to your daughter for a speedy recovery. Hope you get back to your Mac soon!

 
At 2/24/2006 02:12:00 PM, Blogger annabkrr said...

Sounds like I need to apply for a job there!
Glad your daughter is doing better.

 
At 2/24/2006 05:27:00 PM, Blogger may said...

warm thoughts were with you...so, just like everybody else, i am glad to hear everything is okay...

 
At 2/24/2006 08:59:00 PM, Blogger kenju said...

I am so relieved to know it was non-malignant! Blessings to you and your daughter.


A pox on the idiots who ran 1. the Olympic skating, 2. American Idol, 3. Survivor, 4. Dancing with the Stars all at once!! My remote was smoking after a while!

 
At 2/26/2006 07:28:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Oh man, Colin, I'm leaving tomorrow morning! Next time I'm up this way I'll give you an email "buzz"! I would have loved to have met you this trip!

 
At 3/07/2006 07:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first contact with your comments, etc. You give the rest of us nurses a good name!! Keep up the good work and add me to whatever lists you have! I'm glad all is well with your daughter. I am a school nurse in NC and teach prn in the local college of nursing in summer. Ruth S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.