Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Grand Rounds Makes a Blog Call

No riffing on this photo.

It kind of made me melancholy for the "old days". "A symbol of American strength." Wow!

I actually had a primary physician who would take care of generations of patients in the same family. They called them "general practicioners" back then. He delivered me and took out my tonsils 5 years later.

My parents had to switch to Kaiser when I was six and I became a medical record number.

My old doc is still around, albeit in a very reduced practice. His son followed in his footsteps and is now also a popular doctor in this area.

Tradition.

Speaking of tradition, it is Tuesday!

And Tuesday means it's time for Grand Rounds ! This week Dr. Bard Parker is hosting at A Chance to Cut Is A Chance to Cure and I am honored that an Emergiblog post is included.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Guess what?

Next week I'm the host for Grand Rounds!

I guess you could say I'm just a wee bit excited with a bit of nerves thrown in! LOL!

This is going to be a blast - I'll be posting information regarding where to send your submissions and the theme and when the party starts.

Hey, what can I say? I love this stuff!



4 Comments:

At 2/28/2006 05:24:00 AM, Blogger kenju said...

It is obvious that you love it and your enthusiasm is infectious!

 
At 2/28/2006 06:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! Kim! Gratz on doing Grand Rounds next week! You can bet that I'll be here with a fine tooth comb! :-)

 
At 2/28/2006 07:26:00 AM, Blogger may said...

i miss those good old days too. in a very small town where i grew up in the philippines, we only had ONE doctor. and he is God for every person in the community.

enjoy hosting the grand rounds next week :)

 
At 3/04/2006 04:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I'd tell you something about that Country Doctor ad. Before I went into medicine I was actually and ad man.

There was a great advertising legend named David Ogilvy. He died in 1999 but his name lives on in the famous Madison Avenue agency Ogilvy and Mather. Ogilvy was well known for his Sears campaigns in the 50s, and for promoting the VW Beetle in the 60s. He also did the "Man in the Hathaway shirt," and the Scheppes Ginger Ale ads in the 70s. Two of his most famous campaigns are still running today -- he came up with the bull for Merryl Lynch ("We're bullish on America") and "Only Dove is one-quarter cleansing cream."

Anyway. Ogilvy had a standard print-ad approach. A large photo, usually a head shot or portrait, took up two-thirds of the page, then a headline, then one or two columns of ad copy across the bottom. Occasionally he would vary this approach and use a one-third page photo and two-thirds page copy if he thought the pitch was complicated and needed more words. This ad blueprint was started by Ogilvy in the 40s and widely used until the 70s, when layout began to get more sophisticated.

When I saw the ad I immediately thought of Ogilvy. It looks like one of his, although it could be an imitator. I love reading his old ads. They are a throwback to the days when advertising still tried to persuade you instead of getting in your face, the way it does now.

Ogilvy wrote two books that give a fascinating insight into the ad industry, "Confessions of an Advertising Man," and "Ogilvy on Advertising." He is a very entertaining writer, and I would recommend him to anyone. He is one of the great underappreciated architects of our culture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.