Thursday, December 08, 2005

Requiem For An Icon

John was my favorite.

February, '64. First grade. Ed Sullivan.

Paul was cute, but John was smart.

I followed his antics, his music and his opinions. Some ridiculous, some classic. Usually the polar opposite of how I was being raised.

He fascinated me.

So did Yoko. I may have been the only one who saw what John saw in her back then. You couldn't have one without the other. I wanted to climb up that white ladder and see "Yes" on the ceiling.

It was easy to be idealistic, then.

Today I won't imagine that there is no heaven and I can't imagine there is no hell. I have something to kill and die for, the protection of my country - I won't imagine the alternative.

I grew up.

On December 8, 2000 I walked the floor with my five-month-old daughter and cried.

The photo in the Life magazine above is from what John called his "fat-Elvis" period around the time that "Help!" was shot. Not a happy time in his life, apparently, but I love that picture.

I wonder what John would have had to say about all that is going on today.

We gave peace a chance. The other side didn't get the memo.



7 Comments:

At 12/08/2005 07:18:00 PM, Blogger kirbysnursingadventures said...

John Lennon never would have agreed with the war in Iraq.

 
At 12/08/2005 07:19:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I think you are probably right.

 
At 12/08/2005 08:24:00 PM, Blogger kenju said...

Bravo, Kim! Well-written. Of course he would not have agreed with this war. Not very many do.

 
At 12/09/2005 10:12:00 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Very well written. Now I can't get "Imagine" out of my head.
I imagine John would be in the Hollywood political movement nowadays... and unfortunately looking as foolish as they do.
You are right, they other side didn't get the memo.

 
At 12/11/2005 06:54:00 PM, Blogger The new Third Degree Nurse said...

My sentiments exactly (except I can believe in no heaven/hell outside of our insides.)

I kept a scrapbook of John and Yoko as a kid to go along with his bootleg albums I ordered out of the back of Rolling Stone. My most prized possession was an actual photo of him taken on the street of NYC. I held on to it as if it held some of his energy. He and his music always make me smile.

When I heard the news about John's death, I knew the world had changed. And not for the better.

 
At 12/14/2005 11:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I watch the news I miss him and his contemporaries so much - but even if he were around today, now that the opinions of every country in the world but the U.S.A. no longer matter, I doubt we would listen. We've already forgotten about Vietnam and about optimism and a better world, and probably there will never again be a figure such as this. They would be torn to shreds before they could finish a sentence.

Really wish I hadn't read this post. I do hate to be so strident, but I really can't stomach the writings of someone who is STILL pro-war after the years of disaster it has brought us, and will be taking you off my blogroll. Good luck in your career, though.

 
At 12/14/2005 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Anonymous,

I'm truly sorry you feel that way about the blog, especially since this was the only post that deviated into the world of politics. I am glad that you posted, though,and thanks for taking the time to read. Take care.

Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.