Tuesday, December 13, 2005

For Your Information

Thanks to The Medical Network Blog, I linked to Dr. Lei at Genetics and Public Health. She encourages medical/health bloggers to answer the following questions recommended by The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health. The purpose of the questions is to give readers of medical/health related blogs the ability to evaluate what they are reading.

The responses for Emergiblog are as follows:

1. Who runs this site?

Emergiblog is run by Kim, a registered nurse with an ADN degree and (currently) 27 years experience who has spent the last 14 years working in emergency departments.

2. Who pays for the site?

The site is provided for free by blogger.com. It costs me nothing to maintain. I choose not to place advertising on the site for this reason.

3. What is the purpose of the site?


The purpose of Emergiblog is to give me a forum to discuss my experiences as a nurse in the emergency department and other topics related to nursing.

4. Where does the information come from?


It comes from my 27 years of nursing experience, the majority of my posting is anecdotal. All patients, staff and hospitals are either composites or have identifying information concealed or altered to allow for patient confidentiality. When applicable, links to information sources are given.

5. What is the basis of the information?


Please refer to question number four.

6. How is the information selected?


The postings are based on what I want to write about and what I feel will be interesting to read.

7. How current is the information?


It could be as current as my last shift or as long ago as my time in nursing school.

8. How does the site choose links to other sites?

My links are based solely on sites I have read and found interesting.

9. What information about you does the site collect, and why?

The site collects no information about anyone other than what is recorded on the site meters.
That information is used just for my own personal interest in seeing where my readers come from .

10. How does the site manage interactions with visitors?

Hopefully they comment and I comment back! I use word verification to stop spammers. All opinions are welcome and only posts containing profanity would be removed.

UPDATE: After approximately 5 bazillion people read this post, I decided it would be prudent to not have my last name on the blog, so I have removed it. Now I'll be anonymous to the next 5 bazillion!





5 Comments:

At 12/13/2005 07:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"posted by Kim @ 04:29"

"posted by Kim @ 05:06"

...

Girl, do you ever sleep?

*blink!*

 
At 12/13/2005 07:20:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

LOL - I'm a night owl, usually sleep from 0400 to 1200 or so...

 
At 12/14/2005 10:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the main thing is the absolute understanding that any talk of patients will be disguised, composited and anonymised so that no one, including the patient, could possible recognise who is being described.

And also, sadly in a way, but for much the same reason, we must be anonymised too.

 
At 12/14/2005 12:01:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

You are right, I will update my answers to include the anonymity factor. Thanks.

 
At 12/15/2005 08:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent....i'll make this survey my next post. thanks for the information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.