Sunday, November 06, 2005

Weekend Hazards

I had a brief blogging holiday this weekend.

Just got back from 48 hours in South Bend, Indiana where I had the opportunity to see the Fighting Irish beat the Tennessee Volunteers in the Notre Dame stadium.

Apparently this little cutie doll is available through the Danbury Mint. I'll have to email subtle Christmas hints to all my family....

The fall colors are gorgeous in the Midwest. I need to go to the ocean this week to remind myself why I am here and not there.

Oh, it wasn't all fun and games you know! I suffer for my team! There are many health hazards associated with being a Notre Dame fan. Such as:

  • Acute lumbar pain secondary to prolonged exposure to a wooden bench, aka my stadium seat. Not that I sat in it for any length of time....oh, no, I also have:
  • Acute bilateral quadriceps quivering secondary to repositioning to a standing position every time Notre Dame was, how shall I say it...on the field?
  • Laryngitis secondary to prolonged use of vocal cords to express my true feelings of the referees.
  • Acute hearing loss secondary to the woman behind me expressing her true feelings of the referees.
  • Acute ocular strain secondary to the Tennessee shade of orange - it looked like orange sherbet.
  • Anxiety, acute, secondary to potential for intimate relations with the guy on my left as we had to sit very close. Luckily hubby was on the right so I squished a millimeter in his direction.
  • Hypercholesterolemia secondary to multiple ingestions of hot dogs and bratwursts.
  • Increased cardiac workload secondary to doing more walking in two days than I have done in two years.
  • Acute motion sickness secondary to flight turbulence. Let us say a prayer of supplication to the patron saint of Dramamine.
  • Jet lag manifested by the sensation of being hit by a truck, somewhat offset by the Bloody Mary the nice Southwest flight attendant served enroute home.
Add to all this the near-syncopal episode when I discovered my son keeps his dorm room clean and the mania experienced when shopping in the Notre Dame bookstore, you can surely understand that cheering for Notre Dame football can have serious health consequences.

In keeping with the emergency department focus of this blog, let it be noted that there were two South Bend ambulances on standby at the stadium.

Go Irish!



2 Comments:

At 11/07/2005 05:02:00 PM, Blogger kenju said...

You and Regis Philbin can keep on cheering for ND, but in our home, we cheer for Georgetown U., my hubs alma mater. Of course they don't play football anymore - so we will see you on the basketball court this winter!

Glad you enjoyed your weekend, even with the laryngitis and hearing loss!

 
At 11/07/2005 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

My son is looking into Georgetown for law school,so I may be cheering along with you! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.