Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hey Buddy, Can You Spare Some Robitussin?

Oh yeah? Well I got one too, chickie baby and it's gonna take more than a 50-year-old package of Vicks to get me moving.

It started with a simple little case of what I call "Lauren Bacall-itis". A little laryngitis that gave me a deep, sexy voice for a day. All I needed was Humphrey Bogart and I would have been a happy woman. Didn't even feel sick.

Then the aching. That was yesterday. No sweat. I little ibuprofen and I had a good six hours of relief. I coughed a few times, but hey, who doesn't?

This am I woke up with a tight chest, a wee bit of stridor cleared by a now painful, non-productive cough and a voice that sounds like a longshoreman.

Pardon my language, but WTF? I had the flu shot. And I have too much to do to be down-for-the-count.

I bit the bullet. I called in sick. I don't think that was a cause for joy amongst my co-workers who now have the dubious privledge of trying to cover my 12-hour shift.

That's another thing about being a nurse.

You can't ever get sick without feeling guilty about it.



8 Comments:

At 1/11/2006 10:30:00 AM, Blogger PaedsRN said...

Awww :( Feel better soon!

 
At 1/11/2006 10:37:00 AM, Blogger julie said...

Hope you haven't been sleeping with any dead birds?

Hope you feel better soon Kim.

 
At 1/11/2006 12:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim ... I hope that whatever you have clears up quick ...

... and listen, do not feel guilty!

It's counterproductive to getting better! Put your feet up and rest and enjoy the rest while you can!

Soon you'll be back at work, and it will be someone else's turn to get sick ...

... it all comes out in the wash.

.

 
At 1/11/2006 05:27:00 PM, Blogger kenju said...

That's not fair at all, Kim, since you had the shot. Hope you feel better soon.

 
At 1/11/2006 05:47:00 PM, Blogger Rita - Supporting Safer Healthcare said...

No feeling guilty - your already-ill patients are quite pleased that you're not in the ED coughing on them.

 
At 1/12/2006 06:35:00 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Hope you feel better soon... I hardly ever comment because I often have no idea what you nurses are talking about, but I always enjoy your blog and I ususally check out your Grand Rounds links.

 
At 1/12/2006 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Julie: No dead birds around me! LOL

John: Thanks! I'm still living on ibuprofen, nectar of the gods...

 
At 1/13/2006 03:43:00 PM, Blogger The new Third Degree Nurse said...

I hope you didn't have to suffer through some flu shot some dumb,klutzy student nurse stabbed at you, just to turn around and get sick. Damn.

Oh well. That which does not kill us makes us stronger, right?

Have a nice cup of tea with lemon and honey and watch a good movie if you're not a Nyquil drinker like me. I prefer to pass out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.