Saturday, October 15, 2005

Life As A Nurse: One Decision, A Thousand Possibilities

I am a rational person.

I am a mature adult.

I detest USC.

I will detest USC forever.

I detest their football team.

I detest their band.

I detest their cheerleaders.

And now, in spite of the fact that I am going through all four stages of grieving at once, I shall attempt to turn my attention to my honorable profession. Thank you.

Go Irish!

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I sometimes find it funny that ol' Cherry had so many different jobs as a nurse. I mean, whoever does that? Then I started to think about all the jobs in nursing that I've had. If a book series was written using my career as a guide you'd have:

  • Medical/Surgical Nurse
  • Coronary Care Nurse
  • Telemetry Care Nurse
  • Intensive Care Nurse
  • Nurse Preceptor
  • Psychiatric Nurse
  • Pediatric Telephone Advice Nurse
  • Emergency Department Nurse
  • Charge Nurse
  • Nurse Blogger
Okay, I'm kidding on the last one. But I've had all these opportunities and I'm still 22 years from retirement; who knows what I'll want to do next?

The point is, as a nurse, you have the option of doing anything you want to do. On the Choose Nursing website there is a poster I was unable to reproduce here that states, "Nursing: One Choice, A Thousand Opportunities". I cannot think of another profession that offers the flexibility and variety of nursing.

There are some nurses who will work all of their career in one hospital. Others will travel the country, experiencing a new environment every couple of months. Others will work per diem in many facilities at once. Some will find their niche early on, others will experiement with new specialties as their interests change. It's all good.

Back in ancient times (when Disco ruled the world and nurses made $7.00 an hour), it was believed that nurses should pay their dues with at least a year on a med/surg floor before before being considered for any specialty. Now there are new graduate programs for emergency, intensive care, neo-natal intensive care and I've even seen some programs for labor and delivery.

With nurse/patient ratios being defined and salaries/benefits at an all time high, it's a good time to be a nurse. With all the opportunities out there, it's a great time to be entering the profession.

(I just realized that if I, God willing, am able to work until the age of 70, I will have been a nurse for 50 years. Oy vey!)



5 Comments:

At 10/15/2005 07:15:00 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I love all the choices I have in Nursing! That's part of what makes it such a great career.

 
At 10/16/2005 05:10:00 AM, Blogger kenju said...

Since my heart is still in the hospital I used to work in, I probably should have been a nurse. It;'s a little late for that now - but I'll try to do better in my next life.

 
At 10/16/2005 05:30:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Great post, I loved your beginning. LOL.

~Deb

 
At 10/16/2005 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Why kidding on the last one?! You are SO GOOD at this blogging thing...you know if the nurse thing doesn't work out...hehe...

I meant to tell you before this--and the Cherry Ames pic reminded me: Our instructor "Rose" came in on a day she was lecturing last week in her uniform from her beginning nursing days--she still fit in it and looked just like the above picture--except she has Heloise white hair now. The cap, the dress, the navy cape. I told her she looked like Cherry Ames and she said, "Thank you!"

:) Hh

 
At 3/10/2006 08:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, unlike many of the others, or so it seems, DON'T like nursing, but stay in in because it pays the bills. i have tried, since graduation of a diploma program in 1978, travel agent, carpentry, UPS worker, took the entrance exam for the USPS, & i can't recall what else. i come back to nursing for the pay-and would leave it tomorrow if i struck it rich- i'll keep reading here, but can't get into the nursing thing. should have gotten a degree in marine biology, but it's a bit late now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.